How Often Should I Test My Home Alarm System?
It is important to test home alarm systems on a regular and frequent basis. This is the only way to be sure that everything is working as it should. Many security authorities recommend testing the alarm system once per month. The United States Fire Administration (USFA) has recommended at least a monthly check for smoke alarms. This ensures that everything is operating properly.
Here are some guidelines to follow for testing home alarm systems.
- Check your security system after any technician does any type of work in your house. Any professional working in your home can interfere with your alarm system unintentionally or intentionally. After the technicians leave your home you should do a thorough test to ensure that everything is functioning normally.
- Inspect your alarm system after you do any main renovations or modifications. You might have accidentally damaged a component or a connection without being aware.
- Check your system after any main changes to internet service or phone. Anything that affects the system’s ability to communicate with the monitoring centre should be checked carefully.
Here are some useful tips you need to consider
- Check the date of manufacturing on the back of the smoke detector.
- Double-check each alarm once a month.
- Check every alarm that you have installed in your home monthly without skipping any.
You need to check the following things for proper working order:
-Window sensors and door
-Glass break detectors
It takes time to test all of the above components, and many put it off or do not do it at all. However, the safety of those inside your home depends on your alarm system, so it’s in everyone’s best interest to verify that everything is working properly.
For over 25 years, Marc and Jacqueline Cyr of Scan-Tech Alarm Systems Ltd. have helped to keep people and properties safe in Prince Albert and its surrounding areas.
If you have any questions about this article or would like to talk to us about your security needs, please call our toll-free number at (877) 212-5276 or use the handy form on our Contact page.