What To Do When You Are Away
It's a long weekend! Before going out of town for some much needed rest and relaxation, there are several security steps you should take. We’ve put together five tips to keep your home safe while you’re away from home.
1. Let your alarm provider know: It's a good idea, a couple of days before you leave, let your alarm provider know that you’ll be out of town. Our job is to keep your home safe and sound. If you’re leaving for an for a long weeknd or a couple of weeks, we can be on the lookout for anything suspicious activity.
2. Keep your valuables hidden: Valuables include everything from cameras, laptops, gaming sysytems, lawn mowers, ATV's. Make sure that you never leave any valuables out in plain site or on the driveway unchained. Everything from your BBQ to your Laptop should be out of view from the roadside passer by. When a intruder is casing out your home, trying to work out what you have that they could steal, they first see your stuff that’s out in the open. Anything that is visible from a window, patio door or through a gap in your blinds or curtains needs to be moved while you are away.
3. Don’t tell the world on Facebook or change your voicemail message. There's plenty of time to share the memories when you get back home! .
4. Put a timer on a couple of lights: Leaving a single light on, or the porch lights on while you’re on vacation isn’t enough. Try leave alternating lights on so it appears that normal household activities are going on inside your home. Ask a neighbour to come each day and switch things around. Most modern alarm systems allow you to put your lights on a timer so that it looks like someone’s home at different times throughout the evening and night
5. Get a friend or neighbour to help out: Ask a friend or relative that you trust to check on your property while you’re away. They can remove any mail or newspapers that are on the porch and make sure that everything’s in order inside. If you trust your neighbours, ask them if they wouldn’t mind parking in your driveway a few times while you’re away.
If you do not have a home security system in place, it's high time to invest in a good one. That way you can even check in on your house form your mobile phone!
Contact us today to talk about the possibilities and let's secure your home so you can enjoy your vacation, free of worry and come home happy and relaxed.